Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Living in Jewish Time


There's an inside joke at our synagogue. Whenever we have an interfaith event with one of the local churches, the Christians show up 5-10 minutes before the announced start time; the Jews show up 5-10 minutes (or more) later. This is because we operate on "Jewish Standard Time." The bar mitzvah begins at 9:00? Show up at 10:00 -- they won't even be at the Torah service yet. Synagogues fill up as the events go on, and empty out as they wane.

But there is another kind of Jewish time -- living your life by the Jewish calendar.

For the past five years I have been keenly aware of Jewish time. On any given day I could tell you what the date on the Hebrew calendar was, how many days until the next holiday and the corresponding Torah portion for the week. My life was structured around these ebbs and flows. Lesson plans had to be made, programs designed, supplies ordered. No Jewish holiday could sneak up on the religious school director.

The holiday of Sukkot began at sundown tonight and I was a complete non-participant. We have not put up a sukkah. We did not go to the synagogue opening night celebration. I did not purchase a lulav and etrog, and I have no real plans to celebrate the holiday in any way. Now, i have good excuses for all of these lapses. The broken ribs (kvetch, kvetch); my son being away for the last two days and wanting to skip Hebrew School; being swamped at work, etc. But they are not reasons; they are indeed excuses.

It's quite the conundrum. I want to be more motivated. I actually want to want to be more motivated. Jewish time can be really fun. I love Sukkot. Ever since I was introduced to the pomegranate during my Hebrew School days, it's been near the top of my list. We build a hut. In our yard. And look at the stars!

But this year it's just not enticing enough, and a completely new real life has intruded upon my Jewish Time. Incorporating Jewish life into my home was a piece of cake compared to the work I had to do for the school and community celebrations. Now it's work on top of work, even if all I have to do is show up.

I feel much more empathy for the Religious School families who didn't attend my well-planned events over the years. I am sure tonight's celebration was a ton of fun for parents and kids alike, but it just didn't fit into our Non-Jewish Time.

The Jewish calendar is a combination of calendars. It is based on the lunar cycle, but the rabbis added elements of the solar calendar as well, to keep the holidays in the right seasons. Intercalation.

Maybe it's time to intercalate our calendars: Schaibly, HP, Abraxis, Laurel, Cub Scouts, Girl Scouts, Music Lessons, Parents...and Jewish.

Chag sameach Sukkot!


No comments:

Post a Comment