Monday, October 3, 2011

Higher Powers and Hubris



In a recent conversation about atheism with my rabbi, he made the assertion that atheism breeds hubris. It was dangerous for human beings to see ourselves as the pinnacle of the evolutionary process. There must be something bigger than us or we will become egomaniacal and arrogant; immoral and uncaring. [I'm probably stretching what was actually said, but it seems to be a logical conclusion.]

One of my favorite Jewish teachings is the advice of one of our sages that in our pockets we should carry a piece of paper. On one side we write: "The world was created for my sake alone." On the other: "I am but dust." When you are feeling low, read the first side. When your ego is inflated, read the second.

For years I had such a card in my wallet. It became worn and tattered, but I didn't use it with much intention. It was a good reminder to ponder bigger thoughts when paying for groceries or digging for change for the kids. Somewhere between one wallet and the next the card disappeared, and I've never felt the inclination to replace it.

I will replace it now, but instead of those two quotes, I am going to reproduce the photo at the top of this post. It is the first ever picture of the Earth taken from Mars. We are here. And there, on the red planet, is a remote-controlled roverbot wandering a barren landscape picking up soil samples, rumbling over bumps and berms, and looking toward home. Pixel by pixel, over 46 million miles, it sends us a picture of ourselves.

If there was ever an argument against human hubris it is astronomy and cosmology. In a universe so vast that it can contain Sagan's billions and billions, where is there a place for my self-importance? My ego? No, the cosmos does not offer itself as a higher moral authority than humanity, but it does offer perspective on just how speck-like we are, the entire 6.8 billion of us.

I am humbled by the mere process of contemplating the universe, and yet grateful for the amazing and miraculous coming together of billions of factors that has led to me -- as truly unique as you. To the universe we may be as insignificant as quarks and neutrinos, that is true. But each of us is a completely unique entity, a one-off never produced before and never to be repeated.

This is the true paradox of our existence. In the big scheme of things our existence is insignificant, yet we have developed the intellect to ponder this insignificance.

If we do not see something as higher than ourselves, the rabbi said, we develop hubris. We are selfish. We look out for ourselves.

Maybe he is right, but I see no reason for that thing which is "higher than ourselves" to be an entity, a benevolent force, an intelligence.

That which is greater than me is me + another human, ad infinitum.

My family -- a husband and two children -- is something higher than myself alone.
My community -- friends, a congregation, coworkers, my neighborhood -- is something higher than myself alone.
My city. My nation. My continent. My planet.

All of these collectives are my "higher powers," my checks and balances against hubris. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one, as the great philosopher Spock said. From this attitude springs morality -- morality without deity.

Hubris isn't the result of the lack of a deity. We are much more likely to become self-centered and self-important when we believe that a deity took special care and effort to create us. We are its precious. God Himself placed us in a position of specialness; how much more so for us Jews. We are favored and chosen. Hubris is built inCheck Spellingto the system. His and ours.

No. I would much rather be the result of a billion happy accidents. Humble and appreciative, and in awe. Floating around on this tiny blue dot:



1 comment:

  1. One of the values of believing in a personal god is to be special, that the author of the universe would have made possible the miracle of creating my consciousness.

    But if you consider that out of nothing came a burst of something, that it condensed to make matter, that it formed stars that blew up making the building blocks of my body, that it organized further to make our blue island and me, and my community and family, my hopes and desires, my joy and my ephyllum blossom ...

    That is a miracle, that is wonder-full that is all I need to feel at one. It makes me feel humble and awed rather than hubric.

    ReplyDelete