Saturday, September 24, 2011

I am no Tony Romo

The rumor mill has it that Dallas Cowboys' QB Tony Romo will play Monday night despite a broken rib that punctured his lung. His doctor has apparently pronounced him "healed". What is this quack, a revival faith healer?

This morning at 4:45 a.m. I woke up in a sudden crush of pain and restriction in my chest. I could barely breathe, I could not move, and I made a desperate flail for my husband, to wake him up. We very nearly called 911.

Earlier in the week I had been enjoying the mountain bike ride of a lifetime. Swooping back and forth on a gorgeous trail up at Winter Park, Colorado's Ski Resort. In the summer, they haul your bike, and you, up the mountain and you ride down. Evan and I first did this together about 15 years ago. It can be fast and furious and the scenery is unbeatable. On Sunday, I had split off from my family to take on Long Trail, an intermediate-level descent. There were trestles to cross, lots of lightning-fast berms and switchbacks, and gorgeous natural surroundings of the high country.

Just minutes before my crash I had stopped mid-trail to just look around. Up at the sky, over to the next range of mountains, down the perfect;y carved trail. I was happy, I was riding extremely well,and I was up for so much more that day.

Where Long Trail intersected the main road a hazard awaited. Another trail crosses the road here and a small group of young riders came bombing through the intersection with egos so big they probably couldn't even see me coming toward the trail at the same time. I stopped (too hard) and flew over the handlebars to land on my left shoulder. Shoulder hit road. Road pushed shoulder into ribs. Ribs cracked.

It's been a painful week, and this morning it got much worse. That middle-of-the-night attack prompted another trip to the urgent care and another set of X-rays. Only this time, I now have 5 fractures. Not cracks. Fractures.

All of the supposed healing that happened this week was for naught, and the pain was in vain. Now I have to re-walk that road from the beginning.


No comments:

Post a Comment